Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Mixing and scoring

The picture is finally locked.

I've the mix now sitting in protools ready to be mixed blind.

I think I'm a little insane for attempting this.

I exported each individual track from final cut pro after I separated each sound element to a single track each. Atmos on one, Steve on another etc... Numbered 26 in total.

My problem is right now is finding THE right synth sound for this. I just want a one note John Carpenter type solitary bass note pulsing every now and then and I can't seem to find a decent synth sound from any of my soft synths.

Due to technical reasons I decided not to use the casio as midi would be easier to adjust. With the casio it would be in real time and I'd only have one pass to get it right... I've chickened out and decided to go midi. But jesus they're are some awful sounds...

The search continues.

EDIT: GForce to the rescue. Enjoying their minimonsta and Oddity soft synths.
Pure balls out 80's vibe from them, perfect for my needs.

I actually had the balls of laying down "Humanity" from The Thing soundtrack as a temp track and I'm now remodeling my sounds to emulate. I'm open and honest, yes, I'm ripping it off! Hell, its Morricone, at least I'm ripping off one of the greats! (Don't worry, I'll tone it down.)

I'll be honest with you. I always thought Carpenter himself did the opening music for The Thing as it it very synth based and Morricone scored the orchestral score. But from what I gather, Morricone did the synth stuff also. Long way from pan pipes and whip cracks he was for that film!


Its late. Must crash.

EDIT Eureka! Looks like my version of Pro Tools will import video after all!!!

Edit again: I've no idea why the fonts are all fucked up in this post...

No comments:

Post a Comment

It seems people are having trouble leaving comments, so I've changed the settings so you don't have to register to do so. To protect us from spam you will have to enter a text code though...