Sunday, April 19, 2009

Audio editing...

...has kind of ground to a halt right now.

I need to get a new baby monitor, as the one I have picks up too much interference and therefore useless.

But I digress...

I only get the chance to work on the film after 7pm when I put my son to bed for the night (I wish).

I have to keep an ear out for him and therefore am unable to even turn on my mac and get stuck in.

Its been a week now.

I'm picking up a new baby monitor tomorrow, while ironically my other monitor remains switched off.
(But thats not really irony though is it?)

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not actually complaining that I have to listen out for my boy! Let's just get that straight ok!

In other news, my copy of Soundtrack Pro keeps crashing so it looks like I'll have to mix the film in my DAW, which unfortunately is the M-Powered version of Pro Tools, and is incompatible with video. I don't even think it recognizes a .omf file.

I don't have the money nor the time to upgrade even to the LE version of the software, but being a Digidesign product would also entail upgrading my hardware also. Forget it. I'll just mix blind. I'll have all my audio editing done as perfectly as I can and just export each track separately (I think there will be around 20 or so) as aiff's and then sync them back up in Pro Tools and mix away. Its only a 3 min short, so it shouldn't be too complicated. (I'll regret saying that won't I).
I'm also doing the score in Pro Tools, so I may do it all in the one session as I do want the score to be really part of the mix. I'll be using just one synth; my "vintage" 1980's Casio CZ-5000. (Below)
Used in the 80's by the likes of Vince Clarke & Jean Michelle Jarre among others, but I'll be using it to achieve that minimal John Carpenter/Alan Howarth style kind of all synth score. Particularly Assault on Precinct 13 and Christine, are the two I think will be worth "ripping off" the most for this film.

Also pictured is my beloved Farfisa Matador organ, but I doubt I'll use it for this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It seems people are having trouble leaving comments, so I've changed the settings so you don't have to register to do so. To protect us from spam you will have to enter a text code though...