Monday, May 4, 2009

Score!

A few hours was spent this bank holiday monday with the very talented electronic whizz kid Liam Dunne.
I had last week put together a minimal electronic score for the film, its only 45 seconds to spot, but its a very long 45 seconds if you know what I mean.
In other words by the time my 45 seconds had elapsed it had became boring and ceased to have the effect a good score should.

Liam was about on saturday, we were just hangin' (man) and he had a go of my Casio CZ-5000 after about 10mins of him messin about on the synth I invited him to come work on the score as I had some ideas but not the technical prowess in order to achieve them.

Liam jumped at the oppertunity to score a film.
A lot of time was spent adding the specific elements that I wanted included and Liam was very patient and delivered what I needed brilliantly. I wanted to keep things as "old school" as possible and insisted that Liam perform everything Live as opposed to doing everything via midi as I wanted it to have a very natural human sound to the performance.

We did a few takes of each track and nailed it. Some happy accidents happened along the way that would never have happened it we took the midi route. I love when shit like that happens.

When it came to the last track of the day Liam came up with some amazing chords using a french horn sample. I took great pleasure in "conducting the orchestra" for this part and we recorded directly to the playback on screen. In three takes we had it.

A lot of work goes into those 45 seconds of screen time for a score that hopefully no one will hear but certainly feel.


1 comment:

  1. But when do I get to see it??

    Here , check out my link.

    http://wanakafilmtrust.blogspot.com/

    it's for the Wanaka Film Trust (of which I am a board member) .
    We arrange shorts screenings amongst other things if you're interested in sending anything .
    I can add you to the mailing list if you like too .
    churs . TRS

    ( This probably should have been an email as opposed to a comment , so feel free to burn after reading , as it were.)

    ReplyDelete

It seems people are having trouble leaving comments, so I've changed the settings so you don't have to register to do so. To protect us from spam you will have to enter a text code though...