Friday, May 8, 2009

Mixing mixing mixing mmmmmmmmmixing

My good friends at Intermission Studio donated a days mixing in their Pro Tools HD studio today. It was great spending the day in there working on this project, and on one of the final steps of the process to boot.
Due to my time spent in the pre-mix stage things started to go swimmingly from the get go. One of the first things on the agenda was to remove some of my temp sound effects and replace them with something more worthwhile. Mine were nice to give the idea, but just weren't cutting it.
My original intention was to go in by myself and feel the whole thing out, but then I though, I need a pro's ears if I want this to work, so I gave my old buddy and former colleague Jonah Shinbach a call, and to my great relief he agreed to do it!
With Jonah to bounce ideas off and his unending pool of talent I think we have achieved a very cinematic mix for this short.
I was also quite relieved when Jonah didn't poo poo any of my home recorded elements. To be honest, I was quite trepadacious as to what Jonah was going to say about them and how they were recorded, particularly the location stuff, but no.

Having the advantage of a HD studio and an emmy award winning sound mixer at my disposal, we took care of a lot of nuanced, subtle elements of sound that would only be heard if you were listening out for them, but keep geeks like Jonah and myself very happy.

In my opinion, I think a lot of independent short films fall a little flat due to poor sound quality whereas I feel the audio is probably more important than what's going on onscreen in some respects. So I'm relieved that this one does not and I am extremely grateful for Intermission's and Jonah's support on this.

An excellent day.
Thats two thumbs up from Jonah!




No comments:

Post a Comment

It seems people are having trouble leaving comments, so I've changed the settings so you don't have to register to do so. To protect us from spam you will have to enter a text code though...