Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Contour for iPhone released: Do I NOW have a reason to buy an iPhone?

Well I'm not an iPhone user, so this aint a review, but does this release finally mark a reason for those few who don't own an iPhone to go and buy one?

I've been using Contour by Mariner Software for a couple of years now and its EXCELLENT for putting together treatments for feature film projects. Like any "formula" based software/technique it can be taken with a grain of salt at how much you want to invest in the technique, but as a guide for helping to get things structured prior to the big write, I find Contour indispensable in my workflow.

Mainly because its made from the ground up for Mac. A lot of these other programs are windows based and the mac versions always seem like an afterthought. They're clunky, ugly and just too windowsy for my taste. Contour is very mac like and as a result as you'd expect a joy to use. (we won't mention the "jumping text box's" earlier versions here, its fixed, all is forgiven).

So, now comes Contour for iPhone .Now like I said, I aint an iPhone user so I can't review this particular release, but the ability to be able to carry Contour around in my pocket just has me chomping at the bit! I'm not sure how stripped down this version is, or if it has an ability to sync with the desktop version or what, but €5 seems like a steal since I think I paid €50 for the desktop application. It must be stripped down at that price, I'm not sure as to how iPhone apps run usually.

As a afternote, I endorse Mariner and all who sail on her, I use a few Mariner products and they are all excellent, I'm even a beta tester on their screenwriting software Montage. (But it will never drag me away from Final Draft (sorry)). Anyway, buy Mariner, they is good people.

1 comment:

It seems people are having trouble leaving comments, so I've changed the settings so you don't have to register to do so. To protect us from spam you will have to enter a text code though...