Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Thats a wrap on Remedy













So thats my first project shot on HDDSLR in the bag and I must say the whole workflow was pretty seamless. Still, it was for a music video so no great demands on sound sync or anything like that.












I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a 7D, a 5D mkII or a Rebel t2i (550D) and really getting stuck in. The limitations of the Rebel t1i (500D)are far too great to do a project any larger than the one I just produced. Having no control over anything was my biggest frustration working with this camera. Sure it produces a very very nice image but certain things like the inability to chance the shutter speed to compensate for the wattage frequency of the lighting thus eliminating the shimmer on the image render the t1i unusable for much more. (Again NO disrespect at all to the generosity of the owner of the camera who graciously lent it to me so I could experiment.)


I will say this about HDDSLR though, everything they say about the low light capabilities are all true and outstandingly so. I shot the entire video with available light.
The below shot was lit by a bicycle light shone on the performers face from off screen. Can you believe that? At night, with no lights, no generators & no crew the performer was lit by a fucking bicycle light!


EDIT: I hasten to add that the addition of a Nikon to EOS adapter allowing me to use really fat Nikkor glass was instrumental to achieving this also.


In fact, this particular shot ended up in the finished video untouched, straight out of the camera, no grading or effects of any kind. Its incredible what you can do with todays technology & the possibilities are mind blowing. 


I also want to big up Apple for inventing Pro Res 422. It was my first time using that codec for this project and it is as smooth a workflow as I have ever used. Big up also goes to Squared 5 for putting out their FREE application MPEG Streamclip that seamlessly converts the cameras unusable H.264 into something editable.

A good start into the world of HDDSLR for me.

The video will be uploaded to the record labels site for promotional purposes, I will put up a link when I have one. Meanwhile, if there is anyone who would like it for geek reasons drop me a line & I'll hook you up with a password to view it on my Vimeo page (see sidebar).

No comments:

Post a Comment

It seems people are having trouble leaving comments, so I've changed the settings so you don't have to register to do so. To protect us from spam you will have to enter a text code though...