Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Getting sh*t done using SelfControl!












Some of you creative types know the true meaning of the word procrastination. I for one, particularly when I NEEED to get shit done instantly finds distraction online.

I posted some weeks back about The Pomodoro Technique. But the problem I have with that is the time I put off before beginning a Pomodoro, in other words I procrastinate.

The thing is, its FAR TO EASY to do so when the machine you are hooked up to do do your work is ALSO hooked up the bloody internet. The internet, that mischievous mistress who can entice you with anything that can enter your mind.

Enter SelfControl, an amazing little open source app (which also amazingly means its FREE!) that I would GLADLY pay for as it helps you prevent internet access.

Its very simple, you pick the most distracting websites, even your email and ESPECIALLY social networking sites and/or forums where your mates might live, throw the URL's into SelfControl, set the amount of time you want to work for undistracted and click the start button.

Now heres the genius part. You CANNOT change your mind! You can shut down the application, you can restart your mac, you can take the battery out, shake it over your head, power the mac back up and you STLL can't get at the sites you selected until the predetermined time has elapsed.

Now thats what I call self control. Can you believe its free?

So, If you want to work for 90 mins and want to turn off twitter for the duration, download SelfControl HERE

I'll leave the last word to Steve Lambert, SelfControl's inventor, as all I can say is, thanks dude.

"I am an artist, and as anyone who creates things knows; the time you can block out to get focused work done is invaluable. Hopefully this will help you focus on whatever you need to do, from creating that project, writing your novel, studying for your exams, or whatever you want to do. Good luck." Steve Lambert

No comments:

Post a Comment

It seems people are having trouble leaving comments, so I've changed the settings so you don't have to register to do so. To protect us from spam you will have to enter a text code though...