Tuesday, March 30, 2010

DropBox - Amazing backup client








I'm not one to usually succumb to advertising and marketing techniques, but this product/service is actually quite brilliant, helpful and best of all its FREE.

For those of you reading this who write or are involved in post production know that without the project file, all hope is lost. Without that teeny weeny couple of KB's of a project file its an end to whatever it is your working on if anything were to happen to it.

So backing up that precious little file is ESSENTIAL.

Over the years I've done this in numerous ways.
If I didn't have access to an internal server I'd burn a multi session CDROM and keep that with me. Then I had an early Ngage nokia phone that I could mount on my desktop and drap and drop project files preference files onto the phone that I always had with me. I found little USB flash drives better for that kind of thing and then there was always the alternative of emailing the file to yourself, but as you know, that can be kind of messy.

Then along came MyDisk.se and it was identical to Apple's iDisc (now called MobileMe) but the best part it was FREE. Always a plus.

I've been using MyDisk.se for a couple of years now but the service is becoming quite unstable & then along comes DropBox. Unlike MyDisk and iDisc it doesn't mount on your desktop via your network, DropBox lives as a neat little menu icon attached to a shared folder on your HD that INSTANTLY syncs to your account online AND syncs to any other macs sharing your account AND your iPhone (if you have one, I don't but it works perfectly well with my Nokia N95)

With the imminent launch of CloudApp on April 1st, DropBox's direct competition, DropBox are offering an INSANE 10GB free account via referrals.

I know it aint cool spamming your mates, but I think this is worth the few inevitable pissed off heads from people. The basic free account is a mere 2gb with is what I have with MyDisk.se but through referrals I've managed to clock up a modest 4GB of free space which has allowed me to share some High Definition video with festivals & not have to post DVD's. Excellent.

For every referral you earn an additional 250MB of space and the announcement of the whopping 10GB of free space has prompted me to share this with you lot.

Here's my referral: 





Please click and earn me some more space so I can backup more scripts and share more HD video.


Don't forget to tell your friends and earn yourself more free space too. I don't think this will last much longer.


And I'm only telling you this because its ACTUALLY a very excellent and useful service.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It seems people are having trouble leaving comments, so I've changed the settings so you don't have to register to do so. To protect us from spam you will have to enter a text code though...