Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Merged



If I've to go through that again, I swear I'd rather stick hot pokers in my eyes, which, incidentally is exactly how my eyes feel.

Still though, I can actually start editing tomorrow.

Next investment is a proper portable mixer with a DECENT preamp that can send a proper XLR signal to camera.

Incidentally, this show was recorded using a Zoom H4 which is handy enough. Neil the sound guy was fully portable and tethered to no one but himself. One man and his boom pole, a shotgun mic in a blimp (not sure which type) all into the Zoom H4 mounted on his hip.
My only problem with it is that it has no pre amp so it seems. The signal is VERY low from the files. For coverage I had a sony shotgun mic mounted on the fig rig and few via XLR into my Beachtek mixer and into the HV30. Now the Beachtek DXA-2S has NO preamp and records quite weak, but in comparison to the Zoom, its way hotter. Sadly the Beachtek was only used a fraction of the time, so for sound continuity I'll have to stick with the Zoom, but man are they weak.
Another problem is that the files record in stereo, well mono, but only in one channel when they come off the Zoom. I had to convert all the files one by one using Quicktime Pro into mono files before bringing them into Final Cut. I tried to do it using Audialhub, but for some reason, even though I set the preferences not to, it compressed the files significantly. I know the file size will be smaller going from stereo to mono, but Audialhub was taking the royal piss. Its usually such a reliable program but sadly not made anymore so I wont bother with a link.

Now finally the real work can begin*


*No offense of course to anyone who contributed to the film! I'm just a HUGE fan of editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It seems people are having trouble leaving comments, so I've changed the settings so you don't have to register to do so. To protect us from spam you will have to enter a text code though...